James Z. George Public School, now referred to as George Elementary School, was originally constructed on Winter Street in 1907 as the result of a $65,000 city bond issue. This bond was used to construct George Public School and Jefferson Davis School (located on North Congress Street). In 1929, the school was razed to make way for a larger, Art Deco-styled version of the school that could accommodate West Jackson’s growing population. The cost of this new construction–a whopping $79,000!
George Elementary is named after James Zachariah George (1826-1897), a man who served as reporter of the U.S. High Court of Errors & Appeals, a member of the Secession Convention, and a Brigadier General in the Confederate army.
Today, George Elementary houses the energy of 171 students–all eager to learn. In fact, the students are so involved in learning that the school recently received its status as a Star School by the Mississippi Department of Education–the highest designation offered for a school. This status isn’t to be taken lightly as there are only 53 such schools in the entire state!
George Elemenatary’s success has been attributed to the hard working students and teachers at this outstanding school, as well as the leadership of the school’s principal, Dr. Mary Ann Bailey.
Thanks for playing today’s WESTerday Trivia! We’ll see you next week!
Jackson Historic Resources Survey, Phase II, Survey Report (1997)
Clarion Ledger Articles:
Fewer Districts Labeled Failing (9/14/2010): http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100914/NEWS/9140352
Jackson School a Star (9/10/2010): http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20109100349
Written by Curnis Upkins, III