Perhaps you looked at the options for today’s trivia and pondered “shouldn’t it read, the Boys and Girls Club of America?” Well…um…not really. In 1955, The Boys Club of America purchased a plot of land at 1450 W. Capitol Street to build a shiny new facility. During that time, the organization was known simply as The Boys Club.
However, The Boys Club did eventually serve girls, and in 1990 the organization changed its name to The Boys and Girls Clubs to reflect this.
The facility referred to in our trivia is known as the Capitol Unit of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Mississippi. The building also houses the main offices of BGC Central Mississippi on the second floor.
The 16,000 square foot Capitol Unit features a gymnasium, multipurpose room, ceramics room, weight room, learning center (for doing homework), and a game room–plenty of room to allow for learning and fun.
Oh, and as for the young people for who this facility is for, the Capitol Unit services 200-250 children during the summer months and 300-380 children during the school year. Translation: a lot of live impacted!
For more information on the Boys and Girls Club, visit their website and also check out our previous post on the facility. For details on the building itself, check out the thesis of architect Ben Ryder.
Boys and Girls Club Commercial